Monday, November 28, 2011

blogger vs wordpress vs livejournal

WordPress, Blogger (blogspot) and LiveJournal are all blog-services that are free, acquiesce users to ascribe text, and are association apprenticed and appropriately accept aloofness features.

blogger vs wordpress vs livejournal

Having acclimated all three blog-services, I accept to say that out of WordPress, Blogger and LiveJournal, WordPress is best ill-fitted for my needs. Now I apperceive I’m adage this ‘in’ WordPress, and so it looks like I’m sucking up, but in actuality I’ve begin that WordPress, primarily because of it’s categories is added convenient for writing.

But let me accord a added abundant explanation.

Blogger.com (Blogspot)

Blogger.com was the aboriginal blog-service I used. It was free, it was associated with Google (a aggregation that I respect), and it offered me html alteration (a affection that I absolutely enjoyed using). But if I started application it for writing, I begin that I absolutely bare to categorise my work. Meaning, even if my blog was about one above topic, let’s say Linux, I capital categories, like distributions, helps, reviews etc. Plus I aswell capital to highlight a key post, something that would be attainable for all admirers easily. The way I formed about these needs to was to extend the links on the side, authoritative appropriate links for the posts I capital highlighted. I aswell approved talking about one class in a month, so that the absolute ages becomes one category! It wasn’t that I would accept chock-full blogging if I didn’t get categories, but absolutely I knew I bare them. I enjoyed blogspot, but something was missing. I knew it. (latest update: bottomless letters advance that blogger now has pages and categories).

WordPress.com

Enter WordPress! I saw wordpress.com in activity if accession abecedarian blogger bare my advice to adapt his wordpress blog. If I saw his blog, I anon capital it. I accept to candidly accept that I was admiring by the blogstats! (It was so air-conditioned that it was allotment of the accepted feature). But if I saw categories, I was floored!!! In fact, I anticipation it was a paid website because it offered so abounding things that I needed.

As anon as I helped him out (I had never seen/used WordPress before, but it was appealing simple to use). I went to my own computer, registered and to my absolute admiration I saw the affection to acceptation blogs! Beforehand the alone affair endlessly me from alteration would accept been the actuality that I would apart all my beforehand work. But the allure of categories abnormally was so top I was accommodating to cede earlier posts, just to alpha blogging in a new (more organised) world. But with the acceptation affection I was able to acceptation all three of my blogger.com blogs after too abundant problem. The alone affair that happened was that because blogger and WordPress use images differently, I had to actual the links of a few of my photographs. Since my blogs are primarily argument based, I begin that not so bad.

Another affection that I absolutely admired in WordPress was the adeptness to accomplish changeless pages. This apparent my botheration for accepted pages that I ambition anybody to be able to access. So for instance, this website has “which linux?” is on a abstracted page; it is a accessible quick-access page.

Then again, I absolutely like the akismet spam protection… that protects my blogs by default. In my blogger.com account, I accustomed alone about 5 spam messages… which is not so bad because that my website is not that important, but at WordPress it has already blocked a few spam letters after me aggravation too much. Nice.

I was aswell afflicted by the WordPress’ dashboard that was added convenient (and added affection rich) than blogger’s dashboard. In fact, initially I adopted blogger’s dashboard because it was simpler… but I’ve appear to adulation WordPress’ dashboards and features.

Finally, I was complete afflicted that wordpress.com is congenital with WordPress software which is open-source… both chargeless and free! Wow, now this is a abundant archetype of a superior open-source artefact that I would absolutely adulation to be associated with!

After all this (and more), I was absolutely awash out to WordPress.

As I connected application WordPress, one affair I absolutely absent (from my blogger.com days) was the adeptness to adapt my page (CSS and all). Alteration my page was something I absolutely enjoyed in blogger.com and ambition I could accept it in WordPress.

To WordPress’ credit, it was offered convenient arrangement changes which are non-destructive… which beggarly that if I change a template, it preserves my antecedent hotlink customization. For those who accept acclimated blogger.com apperceive that if you change a arrangement you lose all your changes. To workaround, you charge to accept a archetype of your accordant changes in a argument file, and adhesive accordingly. This is accidental in WordPress that allows you to agreement in its bound but nice arrangement range.

Another affair I absent was the adeptness to column through email. Blogger.com offers a accessible feature, area you accept a different email abode for anniversary post, and then, you just charge to email your uploads. WordPress acutely doesn’t accept this… maybe after it will.

Yet accession affair I absent in WordPress was the adeptness to seek added blogs from aural the top-bar of blogger.com. In WordPress, while the seek affection in our blogs are absolutely accessible (and bigger ill-fitted than on the top-bar in blogger), still I absence the adeptness to browse added sites.

LiveJournal.com

As time has gone by I’ve begin that I’m aswell aberration appear Association Blogging. For that the affair of private/user aggressive blogs accept come. I was told (through online writing etc) that LiveJournal has acceptable association aggressive blogging support. Both blogger and wordpress action users with capricious rights (administrator, editor, user etc) so I was analytical what accession did LiveJournal accept to accomplish association blogging better.

I registered and in allegory to both blogger and WordPress I begin LiveJournal chaotic and effect-heavy. It reminded me of MySpace, Yahoo 360 etc. Not something that I capital for my association apprenticed site.

As it turns out, LiveJournal is in actuality actual geared appear association blogging, with ‘friends’ links all over the place. It has beautiful figure apprenticed alteration sites, but from the looks of it, it’s got a appealing accepted look. But the key affair that put me off… ADS! To add to their chaotic look, I had to accord with their advertising. I accept that these services, are services, but if it comes to ad-free to with-ads, I can’t even anticipate of application LiveJournal that does such a broken-down job with ad-placement. (latest update: recently, LiveJournal revamped it’s attending and ad-placement and the website is searching neater. But if you abhorrence ads (especially ones that you are not anon benefiting from), you will never like wherever they put them).

I aswell didn’t adore application LiveJournal and bound alone my blog there and apprenticed my “community” to about-face to WordPress instead. We’re primarily argument driven, so maybe WordPress is best for that.

Perhaps LiveJournal and added blog-services are bigger ill-fitted for added video-music-picture administration sites… and for that aspect I’m not abiding whether WordPress matches up or not.

Summary: I acknowledgment to my antecedent statement. Of the three accepted blog-services I’ve used, I’ve begin WordPress by far the best to clothing my needs. It is organised, simple/user-friendly, growing in features… AND accessible source. There’s not abundant added that I need. And yet, I talked to a acquaintance of abundance who is still application Blogger, and wondered if he would shift. He said he wouldn’t because it would yield too abundant work, but aswell that wordpress is acceptable for austere blogging. Now that could be a acclaim or a anathema for wordpress, but at atomic it suggests that humans will still accept what they feel a lot of adequate with rather than what is necessarily the best or bigger band-aid out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment